Sunday, February 6, 2011

Mark Pirie’s new poem Uncle Warwick

This week I flew down to Christchurch for my uncle’s farewell service. My uncle, Warwick Goode (1931-2011), shared a cricket interest with me. He was an accountant and treasurer. Before he retired, he and his friends at the Canterbury University staff club used to follow cricket. I wrote the following poem as a tribute to him that I read at the service at St Christopher’s Anglican Church, Christchurch, Wednesday 3 February 2011:

MARK PIRIE

Uncle Warwick

I was the quiet boy you took
to the car show that day
in Christchurch. We walked
through the aisles of old cars,
their panels glinting bright and
colourful, and I wanted to
drive one. You said, “No,
but maybe when you’re older.”

I was the quiet boy who came
round to your place and who
shared your philatelic interest.
You gave me my first stamp
album and started me off in
collecting every stamp I could
find. My pages grew, filled with
places of the world, exotic or local.

I was the quiet boy who shared
your cricket interest, with stories
you told of the university club,
and your friends who filled their time
with a game or two. Now I’m no longer
the quiet boy and, yes, I drive a car,
and sometimes I still cut stamps
from envelopes remembering you.

Poem © Mark Pirie 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment